Friday, January 7, 2011

Personal Birthing Experience

Due to the fact that I do not have kids, nieces, or nephews of my own (yet), I do not have many birthing experiences to draw from.  I have been told quite a bit about my own birth, though.  Apparently, after having a quick, easy, and timely delivery with my older sister, I gave my parents a bit more trouble.   I was due to be born on April 20th; however, my mom did not actually deliver until May 3rd.   As my mother tells me often, this was the first sign of my extreme stubbornness!  My mom had gone to the hospital thinking she was in labor three times prior to my actual delivery.  On the day of my birth, she went in, and the doctors tried to send her home, ensuring her that it was not time yet.  My mother new better, and waited in the hospital emergency room for about an hour before going into labor.  Once she started, it all happened in just a few hours, so she and my dad were very happy that she refused to leave the hospital.  Knowing my mom, I’m sure she was quick to say “I told you so” to the doctors.  Other than the umbilical cord being wrapped around my neck (which is very common and was not alarming to the doctors), my birth was very normal once it finally happened.  I was lucky to have no complications occur during my birth, because as I have learned, they can affect development in several ways.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your posting. You are lucky to have no complications, when I was having my daughter I had a natural birth and did not have a complication also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca. You are lucky. I did experience some complications and it did effect my development; however, I was not aware of this effect until my adult life. I think it is funny how our prenatal actions transfer into our personality (ex. your stubborness :0). I really enjoyed reading your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,

    It sounds like your mother is a very wise person who can stand her ground. Mother's intuition is a powerful thing! They say that you usually have the around the same amount of labor as your mother, so it looks like you will be in good shape when you decide to start a family of your own. I bet your excited for when your nephew is due in May. Then you will gain first hand insight to the development of babies and what they can bring to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Mothers always know best!! It's great that you did not have any complications. It's funny that your delivery was more interesting than your older sister. And your mom sounds like mine -- steadfast in her beliefs.

    ReplyDelete