NAEYC. (2009). Where we stand on responding to linguistic and cultural diversity. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/diversity.pdf
UNICEF (n.d.). Fact sheet: A summary of the rights under the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from http://www.unicef.org/crc/files/Rights_overview.pdf
Association for Childhood Education International (2010) http://acei.org/about/, Retrieved November 29. 2010
Voices for America’s Children http://www.voices.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=22807
National Institute for Early Education Research http://nieer.org/
Additional Resources:
The Power of Guidance- Teaching Social-Emotional Skills in Early Childhood Classrooms
By, Dan Gartrell
This book was required for an undergrad course which I took, and I have found it very helpful in my teaching. It provides information and insight on young children’s behavior and how to better understand and manage it.
The Read-Aloud Handbook
By, Jim Trelease
This book is full of information and research about why reading aloud to children is so important for development and literacy skills, as well as strategies on how to make it most meaningful. However the most useful part to me is over 125 pages of suggested read-aloud books divide up into categories. Each book includes the title, author, illustrator, suggested age for use, and a brief description. A very useful tool for any teacher!
The following are websites that I use constantly in my teaching. The first 2 are created by teachers, and I use often to help come up with ideas in teaching specific concepts are teaching different themes. The last is from a reseach center in Florida. I use this site primarily for interventions for students who are stuggling and need extra support. All are GREAT resources!
http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/
http://www.jmeacham.com/
http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities2005.shtm
The following are websites that I use constantly in my teaching. The first 2 are created by teachers, and I use often to help come up with ideas in teaching specific concepts are teaching different themes. The last is from a reseach center in Florida. I use this site primarily for interventions for students who are stuggling and need extra support. All are GREAT resources!
http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/
http://www.jmeacham.com/
http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities2005.shtm
Hi Rebecca, the resources that you provided will be extremely helpful to me and others working in the field of early childhood. Both books appear to contain useful information and research. I agree that reading aloud to children is extremely important. It is too bad that many parents no longer take the time to do that for their children.
ReplyDeleteMary
The Read Aloud Handbook is a wonderful resource for all teachers, early childhood to secondary education. I believe that students lose their love and excitement for reading as they advance in grades. This book will provides strategies and suggested books to encourage reading among all ages.
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteI like your information about the read aloud Handbook, I work with 1st graders and this resource will be very useful, thanks for sharing.
Hello Rebecca, I enjoyed reading your blog and you had some interesting early childhood resources.
ReplyDelete