Quotes about Play:
My childhood views on play:
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
--Plato
Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
My current views on play:
Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning....They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.
--Fred Rogers of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood
Play keeps us fit physically and mentally.
Play was a large part of my childhood, and is still an important part of my life. I loved to play, and did it often. Play was all around me; I had friends to play with in my neighborhood, in school, and in my family. I was lucky to have family and teachers who encouraged play. Most of my play occurred outside. Be it riding bikes, neighborhood hide-and-seek or tag, climbing and digging, kicking or throwing a ball around, playing on a playground, roller blading, playing in the sprinkler, playing in the snow, or making up dances and gymnastics routines up to show the neighborhood kids, if we could be outside, we would be. In my adult life, I still enjoy play in different forms. I enjoy dancing with friends, riding bikes, or walking the dogs in the park.
Play looks and feels very different for children today. When asking a child today what they most like to play, they will likely list off video games or other electronic devices. True, authentic, hands-on, interactive play seems to be occurring less and less often. Play is an irreplaceable piece of a person’s life. It helps one to explore and discover the world around them, integrate all the various parts of their lives, and try or practice different types of activities. It is a crucial part of a child’s cognitive and social development. Play should occur frequently in childhood, and throughout life.



Hi Rebecca. I am also to see that Barbies were also your essenstial play item. Although I did play with a red wagon, that was more of my brother's item of choice. He used to make campers and cabs for his wagon when he was very young. He and I have always been very crafty and creative. If we were not allowed to play and create I think it may have stiffled that in our later childhood and adult life.
ReplyDeleteMary
Hi Rebecca. I like the picture of your red wagon too. I played with dolls as well because I was the only child for 10 years. My little sister came when I was 11. Before she was born the dolls were all I had to play with. Once my sister arrived I played mama and she was the baby. I pushed my little baby in her little red wagon. Thanks for bringing back some of my childhood play memories.
ReplyDeleteHi Rebecca! I love the quote by Plato. I also think it's interesting you mentioned how play is very different for children today. The students in my class would rather stay inside for recess than go out and run and create new games to play. I actually think it's sad that children don't want to play anymore. Great post!
ReplyDelete