As I was unable to establish any contacts with early childhood professionals working in another country, I chose to listen to the podcasts, and found them very informational. The first podcast I listened to was that of an early childhood professional named Susan Lyon, who is the Director of the Innovative Teaching Project in San Francisco. Years ago, Ms. Lyon was in Italy, and observed the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education. This is a philosophy which allows children to have some control over the direction of their learning. The approach focuses on children using multiple experiences to learn such as touching, movement, listening, seeing and hearing. Parents are also a large part of this philosophy. They are seen as partners and advocates for their children’s learning.
After seeing this philosophy in action, Ms. Lyon decided to bring this style of teaching back to Northern California. The Innovative Teaching Project consists of a network of teachers which allows a network of schools and early childhood professionals who utilize the Reggio Emilia approach. These professionals gather to have round table discussion groups about their experiences with the approach. It was important for Ms. Lyon to include both public and private school professionals in this group. She strongly believes that this approach can be attained in the public setting.
In thinking back a few years, I remember working in a public early childhood center which served a very low income area. As a professional development opportunity, we went to observe a school which uses this approach. Initially, our reaction was, “This could never work with our kids.” However, after much debate and discussion, we worked to find ways to incorporate the approach into our center, and found it to be very successful. Hearing about this network of teachers, I believe it would have, and would still be much easier to incorporate and feel supported in our attempts. I really think that having a network and/or roundtable groups would be beneficial in many areas of our field of work. It is always helpful to learn from others in our field by working together and hearing about their experiences.
Hi Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteI have read and observe the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education. I think it is a fun way to educate children. Tell me how this teaching method works with children who already have large challenges in their lifes. Such as will I eat tonight, is mommy coming home or is she working tonight again, or I wish I had a daddy? Who is going to make sure these student learn their alphabet, number, sounds, blends? These children are ready start behine will they be ready for first grade when students who come into first grade knowing how to read, wight, add, and subtract. Please do not get me wrong I love the ideal of project I just think I would not put as much time in them as some of the schools I observe. I am not trying to start nothing but trying to understand.
Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting how you communicated with a network of people to find a solution. When I conversed with other people from different parts of the world, they also provided their input and ideas about how to go about help people in poverty and to work with the community.
Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteThe Reggio Emilia approach fits my philosophy exactly. Even though I am in contact with early childhood professionals I now want to go back and listen to the podcast you listened to for our assignment. I especially appreciate you sharing that at forst you thought it would never work for your you kids, but then relied on the power of discussion and a network of professionals to consider perhaps a new viewpoint and keep minds open to new approaches. Well done!